Go Fish VBS Connect

Partnering With You To Keep The Bible At The Center Of Vacation Bible School

Hello!

Our church is new to GoFish.  We have traditionally done the LifeWay cirriculum and are venturing out this year and are VERY excited about it.  However, when I received my Director's Kit I didn't notice a clear cut format for what we could do for Family Night.  I would appreciate ANY and ALL suggestions in this area.  We always do the songs but would we just do all 5 days of skits??  Please help!  Thanks, Rena'

Views: 1996

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For our closing family event, we would pick two or three songs, write a short wrap up of the skit, show a slideshow of the week, I get up and thank the volunteers, and announce the total amount of money raised for the missions project. We then dismiss to a dinner and carnival. The program is only about 25-30 minutes.

We did Backstage with the Bible last year and it was our 1st year using GoFish. Our church LOVED it!!!! We did a Family Concert on the last night with a big cake. THe kids all preformed songs from during the week. Parents didn't want to miss. We are also doing PRAISE this year and have decided to call it a STREET PARTY on the last night.  We will let the kids perform with a puppet song, thanks to volunteers and a slideshow. We will go outside for the street party with popcorn, snowballs, cotton candy. Still planning but that is the jest of what we will do. We have pictures under the PHOTO section from our last years bible school

What we did last year with Kickin' It Old School was used songs, allowed the kids to share their verses and main point for each day.  The parents LOVED it!  Different kids did different parts, everyone sang - it was great.  It was the KISS method:   Keep It Simple Sweetie.  No one had to stress memorizing tons of lines and the kids didn't have to practice.  We just all enjoyed VBS, learned lots and then let our families see it.   Hope this helps.  (I am also a former Lifeway gal)   It has been a great change for us, and we saved SOOOO much of God's money. :)

So What did you do with day 5's lesson?

Jerilyn Winther said:

What we did last year with Kickin' It Old School was used songs, allowed the kids to share their verses and main point for each day.  The parents LOVED it!  Different kids did different parts, everyone sang - it was great.  It was the KISS method:   Keep It Simple Sweetie.  No one had to stress memorizing tons of lines and the kids didn't have to practice.  We just all enjoyed VBS, learned lots and then let our families see it.   Hope this helps.  (I am also a former Lifeway gal)   It has been a great change for us, and we saved SOOOO much of God's money. :)

So what do you do with the last day's lesson?

We have our family celebration as an EXTRA time.  Generally on Sunday morning or evening.  We conduct a daytime VBS schedule.  We will use the last day's lesson as a regular VBS lesson. 

Not sure if that's what you wanted to know or not :P    Sorry if I'm just being goofy.  :P 

If you are wondering if we have a "Give Jesus your whole life day"  or "Salvation Day" then below is how that works for us:

I actually have a special time during our schedule on either Thursday or Friday where I personally speak with the older children in large group about personally accepting Christ.  I generally use a salvation object lesson, & give the simple gospel message.  When they return to their small groups, their small group leaders are available for any of those kids who believe that it is their special time to accept Christ.  It's definitely a personal touch enviornment - no mass groups of children raising their hands; however, the children truly understand and know what their decision is.  By the end of the week, 99.9% of the kids will say that they love Jesus, and can tell you all of the ABCs, which is terrific; however, we have found that the personal time helps the kids  to grasp if they have truly understood and accepted Christ, or if they just love Jesus and have taken steps toward Him.   :)

Hope this helps and is what ya asked.  I LOVE getting ideas and stuff from this site! 

I am excited for our 'Grand Finale' family night... we found a group of kids from a youth center that has learned some great break dancing moves and we'll be bringing them in... our kids will also do some of the songs from the vbs and we'll do the day five skit.  There will be an opportunity for decisions and then outside for snacks (popcorn, snocones, cotton candy) and have a slide show of the week... that will give us time to talk to the families and get to know them better.

Rena,

Hi, last year I had each of my groups (K-5th) do a  song on Friday night.  They weren't too keen on singing alone, so I played the video and had them sing and do the motions for the songs.  Then our Praise band did a short set of 3-4 songs. 

Jennifer

We are new to GoFish as well.  But I am keeping family night like when I used Lifeway.  On Friday we only have Bible Study.  They will not rotate to crafts, missions, snacks, etc.  After Bible Study they go to our fellowship hall to practice their songs quickly.  Then we come out to the sanctuary and each class or Grade will perform one of the songs.  We will also include Day 5 skit on family night because it has a GREAT GOSPEL PRESENTATION in it.  Then we will have the winner of our penny drive (which we usually do a competition between boys and girls) then whichever looses the pastor for that side has to eat something (last year our theme was beach, so the loosing pastor ate squid).  Kids LOVED IT!!!!! After prizes and giveaways, kids are dismissed to their classrooms to pick up their crafts and then we have refreshments in our fellowship hall for everybody. 

Our Family Night was so exciting... the kids love the music so much and were thrilled to share them with their families.. the break dancers were great and one of them even made a decision for Christ that night... thank you God Fish for a fantastic VBS curriculum that God worked in mighty ways through

Marilyn Gaines said:

I am excited for our 'Grand Finale' family night... we found a group of kids from a youth center that has learned some great break dancing moves and we'll be bringing them in... our kids will also do some of the songs from the vbs and we'll do the day five skit.  There will be an opportunity for decisions and then outside for snacks (popcorn, snocones, cotton candy) and have a slide show of the week... that will give us time to talk to the families and get to know them better.

We had an awesome family night this year. In the past we have had the kids get up and sing the songs they learned from the week. To be honest anyone over 8 hated this and our stage is small. This year a group got together to put on a praise-a-poolza. We had inflatables, carnival games, dunk tank, hotdogs, lemonade, cotton candy, and our youth praise band performed all night!

We had our opening rally and the kids went straight to Bible Study and the carnival followed. It was a huge success. Even had neighborhood families come to join us. We loved that we got to mingle with guests and serve the community! Definately plan to make it a tradition!

We did Backstage this year and I can't tell you how relieved the kids were not to have to put on a program for family night.  What we did instead: we chose 2 songs that our kids seemed to respond to the most and held our worship concert just like we had every night.  Our worship leader was really cool.  He dressed up in a surprise costume each night.  We let the kids dance around just like they had each night.  Then everyone sat down for a slide show.  Then we ended with Jesus Loves Me (like we did each night)  Then everyone was invited for a fish fry in the fellowship hall.  We rented bouncy houses and had sand tables and bubbles outside along with a sound system blaring the Go Fish Guys!  We called it a street party.  Then after the fish fry we had a huge icecream sundae bar!  Family Night was a massive success!  However it reaquired a huge amount of planning and volunteers.  Luckily our church LOVES to do stuff like this so everyone pitched in and helped!  When we do things like a fish fry, we don't charge but we ask for donations from our members.  We've never had a problem covering the cost of the meal this way.

We had bible lesson and games/snacks.  That was about 45 min. Then we had a local christian band, Once Ascended, come in and give a concert for the kids and families that wanted to attend.  The guys in the band had a great time and many of them had never been to a vbs before.  The kids got to dance and sing and praise God. The puppets ministry had done all of our skits through out the week and the band had them singing with them and wrapping, it was awesome!  The band played about an hour and then we had the regular closing program and the kids got up and sang and did the motions and praised God some more.  Then we had our own emcee, my husband, get his head shaved because for the first time in the 6 years that I have been doing this, the boys beat the girls in the money raised for the missions.  We invited everyone to stay for cookies and punch, that way we were able to get in there and talk one on one to a lot of the parents and invited them to services on Sunday.  A wonderful ending to a wonderful week...to God be ALL glory!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Go Fish Resources.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service